Wednesday, September 28, 2011

'Mater Soup

Welllllll some of you who have spoken to me in the past three years have noticed a bit of a twang in my thang known as my southern accent - acquired from LAW SCHOOL. You are welcome America. I will tell you this, I am not sorry. I feel more myself than I have ever felt before, so if that's a problem for my entire family from NJ/PA, I am so sorry about it.

I made some extremely excellent tomato soup this evening. Why? Because we like you. But really, because the temperature is dropping and I was reading and I needed something that could reduce so - BLAMO - 'Mater Soup it is.

Morgan's 'Mater Soup

Ingredients:
Onions
Garlic
Broccoli
2 Cans peeled tomatos
Salt
Pepper
Red Hot Pepper Flakes
Rosemary
Thyme
Basil Leaves
Oregano
Olive Oil
Sour Cream (a dollop of DAISY)

Directions: 
Saute the onions in the olive oil (I added a packet of sugar to carmelize them a little bit, ya know a little something extra). Do this until the onions are translucent and smelling pretty awesome.

Next, add the broccoli. Let it saute up with the onions and get a little soft for about 5 minutes. Then add the canned tomatos. Let the juices flow, don't worry about draining them (that's for suckers...just saying). Add the salt, pepper, red hot pepper flakes, and other seasonings as you see fit. I don't use measuring devices (sorry about it) but usually if I shake it and it quasi-covers the top, that seems about right (with moderation with the salt, obviously!). Anyway, let that simmer for a while, turn it to medium low or low depending on your stove.

Next, about 20 minutes later (with stirring every 8-10 minutes) add about 1/2 to 1 cup of sour cream (we used low fat sour cream - to each his own). Then let it reduce for another 45 minutes stirring occasionally.

Turn the heat off and let it sit for a little. Then serve and enjoy. A sweet grilled cheese sammich would go simply amazing with this. Just saying.

It should look a little something like this:

2 comments:

  1. It's delicious. I am stuffing my face now and don't plan on stopping for at least half an hour.

    ReplyDelete