Sunday, November 20, 2011

CLEEHM = Cream of Leek and Mushroom Soup / slash my roommate needs an immune system boost

It doesn't really matter what level of education you are at, if you are in a learning environment with other people, it's pretty likely that you will get something in these fall to winter months.

Let's get real: I've seen people at my school NOT wash their hands after leaving the restroom. This, this is just something I cannot stand for and am tempted to out these people publicly because it is just disgusting, but I won't because I WASH MY HANDS. Do I want to touch the roll after I see you leave the bathroom ONE TIME without washing your hands? You're damn right I don't want to touch that. It doesn't matter that you might have hand sanitizer, the door to the bathroom DOESN'T automatically disinfect itself. How on earth can you even believe that someone will be your lawyer one day, if they go against public policy and refuse to wash their hands before leaving the bathroom?!? Once I am licensed, I will sue you and people like you who wreak havoc on our society that may or may not have access to health care, you selfish jerk.

Rant over.

So my roommate is sick and I am slightly under the weather. We have both been stressed (and now relieved) for our final trials in Trial Advocacy. They are both over now! We both practiced hard and did well. I am proud of both of us and the rest of our classmates. It is not an easy class, and it makes you face a lot of things about yourself that you might not otherwise have the chance to do. We found this great nasal spray called Sinol. It's all natural (so the label says, even though it also says patent pending...) and I put a squirt in each nostril and I could breathe immediately. It felt like I squirted liquid pepper in my nose and it went to my eyes because I cried a little. So glad to BREATHE.

Needless to say, we have been trying to eat healthy and drink a lot of water and get our packet of Emergen-C in to ward off any real illness. I can't say we will win, but we will fight! I am hoping I don't have to get a z-pack. I hate them and with my ADD and various allergies, it makes me a lot loopy. We did buy a VapoSteam at Wal-Mart. One word to describe it = AMAZING. It is really helpful. It is not expensive and I am going on record to say it works.

Anyway, the soup.

Cleehm = Cream of Leek and Mushroom Soup


Ingredients
3 cups of chopped leeks (down to the white parts)
1 package of chopped baby bellas
1 package of shitake mushrooms
1 package of portobella caps sliced and diced
1 yellow onion - diced
2 cups baby carrots
3 cloves garlic
1 cup of white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
Salt
Pepper
2 teaspoons Thyme
1 box (small) heavy cream
olive oil
1/2 stick butter
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon flour

Directions
Chop up all the veggies and seasonings and add them to a large sauce pot with the olive oil and butter. Stir these and satue them until they are somewhat soft.

Next, add the chicken stock, and stir. Wait for it to boil and then add the wine. Then add a cup of water. Stir all this together.

Next, add the flour. Stir it in. Let it come to a boil again and then turn it to low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or so.

Lastly, scoop out a few cups of the soup and put it in a blender or food processor. Add the heavy cream slowly. Put back in the soup after blended. Add a few more cups to the blender (not at the same time) and repeat.

Let the soup simmer for about another 10 minutes and then serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment