Saturday, January 7, 2012

Salt Block Chicken and Veggies 2012 - Yea I like it like THAT.

Well everyone, huge news, I got my grades and I GET TO FINISH LAW SCHOOL. I am pretty pumped up and hope that in four months I will be dancing across the stage at graduation. I worked my unlawful ass off this semester and it paid off! I am not a very skilled multiple choice test taker, but I did well for myself and well enough to keep going. I can't believe it is almost over, but I am excited to finish this semester strong and move forward with my life. TEXAS HERE I COME!

Tonight, I made thinly sliced chicken breasts on my himalayan salt block and also made some asparagus and peppers on there too.

For the chicken, I made vinaigrette marinade. I shall call it "Just the Way I Like It Vinaigrette." It includes:
1 shallot - diced
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
white pepper
savory seasoning
garlic powder

I whisked these together to properly blend all the ingredients. Remember, when cooking on the salt block do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use any salt. The salt block will provide all that you need. I let the chicken breasts sit in the marinade for about 2 hours and turned them about every 45 minutes.

Let the salt block heat up on the oven (make sure it is clean, I heat mine up, then wipe it with a wet wash cloth). Gradually increase the heat ever 30-45 minutes starting off at about 150 or 200 degrees, until working your way up to 450ish. Use strong or thick oven mitts to remove it from the oven and you can place it on a cookie sheet and put it right on the stove. It should keep its heat, but if you find the it isn't, get some tin foil and cover it while the meat is cooking.

The chicken should take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes depending on the heat of the salt block. Flip it a few times (every minute or so) and just make sure it is cooked all the way through.

Here are some pictures of some other chicken I made today that I plan to use to make chicken salad for the week. The balsamic chicken I discuss above will look a little different color wise, but cook the same.

Carmen says "Mom what is that awesome chicken you are making" 
I say "Don't worry little Carm, I will get you a taste"
(I need to get back to school. Conversations with Carmen are, well, one sided.)



Move the chicken breasts around so they get to experience all the heat of the block and get all the seasoning they need :) 

Sometimes, somethings just need a blankie of sorts. COVER IT UP. 

For the veggies, I just cleaned and washed them. Then I cut the peppers and put a little olive oil on them and put them on the salt block for a few minutes - turning them about every 45 seconds or so.

Enjoy!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2 comments:

  1. SO GREAT!!! I had no clue that you were writing this blog, great read! and congrats on almost being done with law school!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks pal! I am really excited! I know you are doing fabulous as always :)

    ReplyDelete