Sunday, November 11, 2012

Grilled Standing Rib Roast = Standing Ovation

So, as life goes, things are not always according to plan. I missed passing the Texas bar exam by a small margin and I am getting prepared to study for the exam in February of 2013. However, I am very determined to make this bar exam my last. Clearly, I am sad, but I am not discouraged. I worked hard, and I know where my problem areas are (multiple choice) and I am doing what it takes to conquer this beast.

I am still in South Carolina until the beginning of December. I am so glad I am able to spend this time with my family and especially with my grandmothers. I have been able to cook a lot while I have been here and send meals over to my Mommom's house so that she can consume some real food besides milkshakes.

Tonight, with the help of my father, we are making a standing rib roast. We were at the Fresh Market and decided to look at the meat first. I have never cooked a standing rib roast, and my dad suggested that I give it a try. So, 6.5 lbs of rib roast later, here we are.

The Standing O Rib Roast
Ingredients 
1 4-6 lb rib roast 
1 head of garlic 
1 yellow onion
2-3 baking potatoes 
1 pepper (any color) 
fresh cracked black pepper 

sea salt or kosher salt 
1 shallot diced
fresh rosemary
fresh thyme 
fresh chives
3 pieces of thick market style bacon

DirectionsToday, we are grilling our rib roast, but you can also do it in the oven. For the sake of what I'm trying to do here - I will give you the grilling instructions.

First, you want to get your grill nice and hot before you put your meat on. So, while that is heating up, you want to cut up the garlic by smashing it with the flat side of the knife, then cutting it into long slices. Then you will cut in various places all over the roast to jam in the garlic, shallots, chives, and fresh herbs. Then, sprinkle each side and with salt and pepper and give it a good slap to lock in the goodness.


say Hay girl HAAAAY




After we beat the meat and packed in the herbs, shallots, and garlic. 



Bacon please!

Next, with your hot grill going, sear each side (all sides) of the meat for about 2 minutes a side with the bacon draped over each side as it is searing. You want to do about 2 rounds of the all-side searing to create a nice crust.  When the rotations are done, let it sit on the meat side down on the grill for about 10-15 minutes with the bacon on top. 
on the grill, searing. 

gotta sear all the sides

with taters


bacon placement, per rotation. 

Then you want to move the rib roast from directly off the grill, into a roasting pan. We put the onions and other veggies in the bottom with some red wine. This raises the meat so the juices will be all over the veggies. Pardon me while I drool.

Also, during this time, you can bake your potatoes on the grill. My dad prefers to poke holes in them, rub with olive oil and then wrap them up in tin foil and cook them on the grill or in the oven. I like to poke holes in them and let their skin get crispy - it is really up to you.

My Dad helping out! 

In the roasting pan.

Can't forget the bacon.

Now, as we have 6 pounds of this meat, it is going to take a fair amount of time to cook. This is a half day event. Using a meat thermometer you want to check the inner temp of the meat - 140 is medium rare, 150 is medium and so on. I like my meat at rare to medium rare.

After about 30 minutes, you are going to want to cover the meat with tin foil to keep it juicy. And really, that's the main goal of life, juicy meat and happiness. Let me help your happiness.

Now, let it keep cooking for about 2 hours or until you have reached the desired meat temp. Then you want to take it out and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes before cutting into it.

This meat often likes to be paired with horseradish sauce. We found some at the Fresh Market called "Atomic." It will be our first time trying it, but I am excited.

More than anything else, it was great to have my dad helping me with this dinner. He shared a little secret, and it's kinda affecting my whole view on things, because he said he used to cook like me. I believe his exact words were "So, what do you do, look up the basics then head for the North star?" Why, yes Duane/Father, that is exactly what I do. "I used to do the same thing. One time I made a meat layer dish, I miss that." These are the things that you can talk about with my dad when he has Alaska flashbacks.

Since being at home, my mom has insisted that we include something green in each of our meals. So, we are also making peas because they are Duane's favorite. Who knew? But don't get into a debate of which lettuce is best, he won't hear anything except "Iceberg is the best lettuce." Sorry dad. I disagree.


Happy Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment