Sunday, June 9, 2013

Nutribullet = New Frontier for the Unlawful Cook

My mom recently sent me a Nutribullet after she has been using it for a few weeks now. I am constantly trying to keep up with my health and fitness and as I am getting older, I need to come to terms with the fact that I am no longer a college athlete, nor a woman with a knee that allows her to run and pretend she is still a college athlete. Sad, upsetting, and all too true.

So, this Nutribullet is a type of juicer/blender/extractor that basically lets you create your own V8s. You can add all sorts of fruits and veggies, and even types of nuts and powders. It really is kind of fun and creative to see what you can combine and drink. So far, everything I have put together has turned out well, but I am taking this new invention in my life as a new frontier for The Unlawful Cook. You see, there is minimal measuring, and the rules are pretty simple: combine a handful of leafy greens and a variety of fruit and some water and blend!

I think I bought more fruits and veggies at my local HEB grocery store than ever before. I have kale, spinach, swiss chard, romaine, tomatoes, tomatillos, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas, avocados, raspberries, and gogi berries. There's probably more produce, but that's what I can remember right now. I also picked up some Hemp Powder that is supposed to act as extra boost to whatever drink you make. Oh yea, I also picked up some raw walnuts and raw pumpkin seeds to mill. It's kind of exciting.

Mostly, I have been blending a little bit of everything and my plan is to have at least one or two drinks a day. It's part of my summer studying overhaul. I can't tell right now if there is a major difference in my health or really how I feel each day, I think it is just too soon. But I plan on keeping up with this because it's easy and it does taste good. I do notice that the drinks are filling and some carb loving I used to have has decreased some. I'll keep yall posted.

Tonight I made this blend:
1 cup of baby kale
1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup blackberries
1/3 cup raspberries
1 peach (NO PIT - obviously)
1/8 cup walnuts milled (so it becomes a powder)
1 tbsp Hemp Powder
6 Ice cubes

Tomorrow is a new day and a new blend, and I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment