Thursday, July 4, 2013

She was Choppin Broccolini...and then Sautéing it.

Happy Fourth of July Americans! While the rest of the country is enjoying delightfully grilled culinary creations and likely drinking a good American (or cheap, times are tough) beer, I am studying. But, I am not down and out for the count just yet...I went to the store and picked up a nice steak and a bunch of broccolini. Which made me think of my mother singing me this Dana Carvey bit from SNL every time she cooked broccoli (which was often, she always made sure we got our greens). To be fair, my mom was pretty dead on with her cover of "Choppin Broccoli."

Tonight, I am making a very simple variation on broccoli and using broccolini. Broccolini is very similar to broccoli, but it has a longer stem and smaller florets (the top part). I really prefer it over broccoli if I have the option. It also seems more lady-like, but gender aside, I also prefer the texture over  regular broccoli. 

Lemon Zested Sautéed Broccolini
1 bunch of broccolini (washed with ends trimmed) 
lemon zest (to taste) 
1 tablespoon olive oil  or butter
salt 
pepper 
2 cloves garlic - diced 

Instructions: First, blanch the broccolini in large pot of salted boiling water for approximately 2-3 minutes. Then drain them in a colander and put them in a bowl of ice and some water (an ice bath). 

Then add butter or olive oil to the sauté pan and add in the garlic with the lemon zest, let that get awesome for about a minute, and then add the broccolini (just the broccolini, not the ice bath). Sauté for about 3-5 minutes (more towards 5 if you like it crispier).  Add the salt and the pepper, and if you like, some lemon juice (that's up to you). Toss it so it gets awesome all over, then let it sit a few minutes and then, you can enjoy. 
Large stock pot with salted water fixing to boil. 

Ice Bath ready to go. 

Broccolini with ends chopped. 


lemon zest, chopped garlic, and lemon juice.

Water boiling. Time to add the broccolini!

Broccolini being blanched for about 2 minutes. 


Broccolini in ice bath, just chillin. 

Steak cooking. 


I put the iced broccolini in the steak juices to sauté...yay. 


Finished broccolini. Deeeeelicious. I added the lemon juice. 

Finished meal. Delicious. I cooked the steak about 2-3 minutes a side, more if you like it not rare. (more filliping, not more per side all at once, to be clear.)



Happy Fourth of July!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment