Friday, May 13, 2011

Summer Caprese Salad - something red for Friday the 13th...totally appropriate

This is the last Friday I will have free in a while because I start my job on Monday. I picked up some fresh tomatoes the other day along with some fresh mozzarella in water and (drum roll please) a fresh basil plant! So I thought I would make myself a salad of sorts for lunch. Caprese salad is one of my favorites.

First, I slice the tomatoes and place them in the bowl. Then I cut the mozzarella on top of the fresh basil. Why I do this, I don't know. It just seems to fuse the basil to the cheese. I may be full of it, but I'm full of something good. Next, I toss on some pitted kalamata olives (fresh from the olive bar! yes!). I drizzle on some olive oil and then sprinkle it with kosher salt and pepper. TA DA! It is especially good when it is a little bit chilled - very refreshing on a hot day.

Fresh Basil Plant. In real life, I would have rotated the picture, for now you can catch the gist. 

Fresh ingredients. Tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, and olives. 

The big finish. 
Happy Friday the 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment