Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I like my meatballs big and juicy and cheesy. How about you?


This day started off slow...then I was a witness in a deposition for some classmates and came home inspired to do something productive - so clearly I made meatballs and the heartiest sauce I've ever seen.

I used recipes blended from my Aunt Lauren, Mommom, and myself. I wish I could send yall the smell of my house when I was making this - delicious. My friend Jess's family has a farm in Tennessee and sometimes she brings back meat for us. I love it because it is organic and it just tastes good.

Meaty Meatballs
Ingredients:
2 packages ground beef
1 package pork sausage (ground up like ground beef)
1/2 bottle of Yuengling beer
2 eggs
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Fennel Seeds
Panko Bread Crumbs
Rosemary
Grated Parmesan cheese

Directions: Let the meat thaw completely and add all the ingredients. Mix it up with your hands, really get in there to make sure all the flavors spread out evenly. The beer should help tenderize the meat as well as add a nice flavor.

 Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll the meat into about racquet ball sized balls and place on a baking sheet - evenly spaced.  Cook for about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven. 



 Hearty Tomato Sauce
Ingredients:
1 yellow onion diced in big pieces
1 bag of frozen peas
1 bag of frozen spinach
1 yellow pepper sliced
1 red pepper sliced
1 bottle of Yuengling beer
4 regular sized cans of stewed tomatos (with juices)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
2 Garlic Cloves smashed and diced
Thyme
Oregano
Paprika
Basil
Bay leaves

Directions: First, sauté the onions in olive oil. Let them cook for a few minutes until they start to look see through. Then add the cut peppers and stir. Next add the garlic and the frozen veggies. Add the canned tomatoes and all the seasonings. Cook in a big pot on medium or low while the meatballs are cooking.

Next, take the "sauce" and transfer it to a crockpot.  Then, remove the meatballs from the oven and place them in the crockpot with the sauce.

Give it a good stir so that the juices get all over the meatballs. 


They should sit happy in the crockpot. 

Add remainder of beer to the crockpot  - this will make the sauce a little less thick, but it will be awesome. 

I set the crockpot to low to 8 hours, but changed it before I went to work to high for 4 hours. That way it will be ready when I come home from work tonight at the library. We might make some spagetti, but we might not - what you add is up to you. If it you like it more saucy,  use less veggies and more tomatoes. 

I wish you could smell our house! 


2 comments:

  1. Personally, I love my meatballs extra meaty ;) ha! Seriously, this is some soul-satisfying food. Looks and sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were delicious! It wasn't too saucy - but it was extremely filling. I am glad I gave it a try :)

    ReplyDelete