Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Portobello Risotto because baby it's been too cold outside

It has been on the chilly side the past few days. I took my roommate's dog and Carmen on the trail near our house and we hiked about 4 miles. I came home and luckily Katie had started a fire and I started in on dinner. Having a roommate is pretty awesome.

I decided to make Portobello Mushroom Risotto because it is delicious. Our friend Lucy came over after her meeting and had some dinner with us. She brought to my attention that she has made risotto, with my help and without and that for some reason it never tastes the same. I have been trying to figure out why this is and even how this is. We use the same ingredients, she has started waiting longer before she adds the next round of wine or chicken broth/stock. I think it comes down to cheese. Cheese is just something I refuse to mess around with. I don't know why, but I take it seriously. We are a cheese family. We like good cheese, we eat good cheese. Also, my mom got me a new grater and it is super sharp and helps to make parmesan amazing.

This is how I make Portobello Mushroom Risotto


Ingredients:
1 Cup Arborio Rice
1 box of chicken stock (I like organic because let's just face it, it's better.)
1 yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic SMASHED and diced
2 cups of white wine
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes
1 teaspoon basil
2 portobello mushroom caps (NOT SLICED)
salt
pepper
olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 packet of splenda
lots of italian cheeses

Directions:
First, take a big skillet pan and put it on the stove on low. Add olive oil - enough to cover the bottom of the pan slightly. Add the entire diced onion and saute until onions are soft or translucent. I have started adding a packet of splenda to the onions to sort of carmelize them. Add the smashed and diced garlic cloves (smash first to release the oils and then dice to distribute among the risotto). I think it helps the overall taste. Then add 1 cup of Arborio rice. Let this completely coat in the onions and olive oil. This takes about 30 seconds to a minute. Turn the heat up to medium-high (depending on your stove).

Next, add 1 cup of white wine. It will look a little intense, but don't fret, let it simmer down and stir in until it is slightly dissolved or reduced. Then, add 1 cup of chicken broth and the cubed portobello mushroom caps. Add Let this reduce - be patient - depending on the heat it should take where from 3-8 minutes to reduce enough. The risotto makes its own creamy sauce, so it is reducing even if it looks like a hot liquid (which it technically is). Repeat this until you are out of broth from the box (approx 4-5 cups). Add one last cup of white wine and stir in. Add a few tablespoons of butter at this time. Stir it all together and make sure the butter is melted. Turn down low and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

Lastly, dump in the cheese. This makes the risotto creamy, salty and awesome. I like pecorino and reggiano romano the most. The blend of these two is pretty great. Good cheese is worth the investment - trust me.

Here is what it looks like after you add the cheese:


I hope you give it a try and ENJOY IT! 


aww this is my dog carmen in the morning. She also loves risotto (well licking the bowl if she is lucky)!

No comments:

Post a Comment