Thursday, November 10, 2011

A little Roast Beef and a little Aunt Fran's Potatoes... how many ways can you say YES


It was really chilly today - no snow yet...but it was cold, meaning, I was cold. I also had a midterm today and a full day of class. The next few weeks will be so incredibly busy...ahhh law school. I got all the classes I want for next semester and now I just need to focus on doing well this semester. 

Tomorrow I am having a jewelry show (http://karma711.etsy.com) for the holidays. I am excited for that. 

Before all that happens though, us law school ladies need to eat. My parents let me raid the "magic meat freezer" when I was home last in September, so I grabbed all the meat I could fit in my cooler. I made a good decision on grabbing the beef sirloin roast (can I get a oh hell ya?!). I have never made roast beef, but I do love it. I did some research on food network.com and from my friends who cook on the reg, like myself. Here is what I did with the meat: 

Toast to the Roast that Be
Ingredients: 
3-5 lbs of beef sirloin roast (obviously the bigger it is, the more you love it) 
3 cloves of garlic 
1 onion sliced, not diced 
olive oil
garlic powder 
kosher salt 
half of a lime, squeezed 
paprika
red hot pepper flakes 
fennel seeds 
rosemary 
basil 
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 stick of butter (yea I know...you can leave this out, but I don't think you will love it as much)

Directions
Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees. 

On a plate, rub the beef with all the dry ingredients and the lime juice. Rub with love. 

In a large skillet, sear/brown the meat on both sides with the olive oil and butter. We have a skillet that you can put in the oven, but you may want to transfer to a roasting pan of sorts. Whatever works. I placed the sliced onions and garlic cloves under the meat. Pour the wine over top of everything and put in the oven. 

Turn down to 275 degrees. Let this cook for about an hour and then flip it and do another hour and then flip it again. Check the middle by cutting it to see if it is red. If you have a meat thermometer - the center should be about 140 degrees. 






Aunt Fran's Famous Potatoes
Ingredients:
3-5 large baking potatoes 
panko bread crumbs 
1 large container of light sour cream 
cheddar cheese 
sharp cheddar cheese 
italian blend cheese 
2 bundles of green onions
paprika 
salt 
pepper 

Directions:
Boil the potatoes in water for about 10 minutes - NO LONGER THAN THAT. Drain and set aside for a few minutes. If you don't have a food processor - cut the potatoes into very thin slices. If you do have a food processor and love it like I do, cut the potatoes into sections and put on the grating disc/setting. Grate all the potatoes. 

In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, green onions and cheese  and mix. Then add the potatoes so it's evenly mixed. Then use butter to coat the baking dish of your choice. Add the potato mix. Then put a layer of panko bread crumbs on the top and then sprinkle with paprika. 








Cook for about 45 min at 300-350 (depending on your oven). Enjoy thoroughly. 



YUM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment