Sunday, November 6, 2011

I need a paycheck...beef stew it is! I present "Stew You Bro."

I am remaining hopeful that one day, I will be able to pay off all these student loans and help my family the way they have helped me. In the mean time, I am poor. My friend Jess and her family are incredibly generous to give us organic meat from their farm. Rice is your friend in tough times and going through the fridge enables you to toss a bunch of stuff in a pot and make a stew before it's too late.

Even though it is November, it is cold at night but in the 60s and 70s during the day. It is what I like to call "a big giant tease" and my sinuses are f-ing over it. THANKS.

My mom and I were talking the other day and she let me know she made some killer beef stew. I am waiting on the recipe (moooooooom) so I decided to try out something on my own while I update my family law outline.  Plus, I didn't have to man the circulation desk at the library tonight, so I was able to (hopefully) start my week off right.

Stew You Bro.


Ingredients
2-3 pounds of beef stew meat
1 onion - chopped
1 green pepper
2 cloves of garlic smashed or chopped
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 bay leaves
1/2 tablespoon parsley
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon soy sauce or worcestershire sauce
thyme
rosemary
olive oil
1 cup of beer
1/2 cornmeal (optional)

Directions
Take the thawed out meat and brown it in olive oil. Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil and then cover and let SIMMER for about 1.5 hours. Towards the end of this time, if you like your broth a little thicker, add some cornmeal and take a whisk to it to get all the lumps out - this may break up the potatoes - but I think I am in to that tonight - so go with your gut.

We are putting ours over some basic white rice.

Here is what it looks like from my end:




1 comment:

  1. haha rice is your friend in tough times.

    when i first moved to NY and had to adjust to the spending lifestyle, i used to bring rice with butter for lunch to work

    ReplyDelete