Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kale Chips you say? Absolutely, yes.

What the f is kale? Well kale is a actually considered a form of cabbage (omg Mom can you even believe it, CABBAGE?!?) It is green and unlike cabbage it does not come to a head, it's much more leafy you could say. Kale has been really on the up and up in the past decade (at least in my world, but in other worlds it's been around for centuries) because it is very nutritious and high in important vitamins. It is different than lettuce, but can be used in a similar manner for salads and side dishes. Some prefer it baked for a crispier texture, but you can also steam it for a spinach-like consistency.

I do not care for overly steamed anything. In my experience, it just always turns out weird and makes me feel weird. But to each his own.

My roommate Katie loves kale. She's turned me on to trying it and tonight we decided to have steaks on the salt block, green bean casserole, and attempted to make some Kale Chips. All the recipes we found looked relatively easy and quick, but here is how I prepared it:

Killah Kale
1 large bunch of Kale (you may need two or three cookie sheets fyi)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt
Optional: garlic powder

Directions: Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Wash and dry the kale (make sure it's pretty dry after). Next, the kale and cut into 1-2 inch chops and break apart further if you feel so inclined. Spread the kale pieces over a cookie sheet (or two) so they are not overlapping too much. Toss in salt and olive oil so that it is covered evenly. Put in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes then take out and with tongs flip it over. Put back in the oven for another 10-12 minutes. Take out, let it cool. Enjoy.


before



after


1 comment:

  1. Working at a farm stand through the summer, I tried a couple versions of kale chip recipes per the direction of crafty health-conscious customers. While I did force myself (and the rest of the fam) to eat the batches I made, AND I did not throw up, I hereby now proclaim, I still do not like kale and promise to continue to give it away to that lady with the bunny at the end of each farm stand day. You are far more creative, open-minded and forward-thinking than I am when it comes to good food ideas. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete