Monday, October 1, 2012

Bacon Fairy Beef Stew

I looked in the magic meat freezer this afternoon and found some stew meat. Though we aren't stocking the magic meat freezer, we are eating it down. So, since there are some various cuts of meat still in there, I found some beef stew meat and began researching what to do with it. I also spent some time looking through our fridge for fresh vegetables. I decided to make beef stew.

(Side bar: the South Carolina humidity is something I didn't miss. Austin is a oasis and I miss it)

Additionally, my mother has beautiful lecruset cookware that I am in love with. Today, I am using a nice blue dutch oven.

Bacon Fairy Beef Stew
Ingredients:
Cubed Beef Stew Meat 
1 onion (white or yellow)
1 pepper (any color, I used red)
1 head of celery 
1-2 cups of mushrooms (I used baby bellas, but you can use whatever you have)
1 cup of pureed tomatoes 
4 pieces of bacon 
6 cloves of garlic
1 white baking potato
fresh thyme 
fresh rosemary
fresh oregano
olive oil 
salt
pepper 
sage
1/2 bottle red wine (dry)
1 box of chicken or beef stock 
(we didn't have carrots today because we ate them earlier this week, but they would be awesome in this too)

Directions: Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.

 Cook the bacon on the bottom of pan until crispy. Take the bacon out and put it aside on a plate. Do not remove the grease.

While that is cooking, massage the stew meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sage. Then place it in the pan so it is one layer (it will take a few rounds). Let it sit a minute or two a side.  The goal is to brown the meat on sides and then remove it and put it on the bacon plate.



 Once that is done, take all your veggies and sautee them in the grease. You can add a little butter or olive oil if you want. Once that has cooked down, add the meat back to the pan.

Add your liquids! Add the half bottle of red wine and then stock so that everything is just about covered.

Make sure you use a pot that has a lid.

Then you put the lid on and put the stew in the oven for about an hour. I then took it out (carefully), and have finished cooking it on LOW on the stove. I stirred it occasionally.







We had a side salad and cibatta bread.  It was super good.

No comments:

Post a Comment