Sunday, October 7, 2012

Greek Burgers - χάμπουργκερ

My Dad proclaimed he wanted burgers for dinner over steaks, so I decided to get a little fancy.

I decided to make a refreshing burger and I really wanted some goat cheese so, it happened. 

I give you "Morgan's Homeland Burger" (slash in Greek:  χάμπουργκερ, or so the internet translated for me)

Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef (you can use lamb, or a mix of ground meats)
1/4 of an onion - diced/chopped
1 garlic clove minced
5 pitted kalamata olives (pitted and diced)
1 egg
salt 
pepper
garlic powder 
OR greek seasoning pre-mixed
fresh rosemary
goat cheese (the soft kind, and you can also use gorganzola or blue cheese if you prefer)

Directions: I turned on our grill so it was nice and hot when it came time to put the burgers on. You cook your burgers on what you like (skillet, grill, etc).

Put the meat in a mixing bowl. Add the all of the ingredients, including the egg and the cheese and mix with your hands.

Then, take about a golfball size (or larger, up to you and your hunger pangs) and roll the meat into a ball. Carefully squeeze it to a flatness between your hands and place on a plate.

If you are grilling you may want to put a little olive oil or pam non-stick spray on the grill before you throw the burgers on there, because you do not want them to break apart.

I cooked them for about 4 minutes a side. It's best not to push the burger down (even though we all love the grease/fat hitting the flame and sizzling) because it messes with the integrity of the flavors you created and your burger will lose juiciness. We don't want that.

These are great plain, on a salad, on a bun (we toasted ours on the grill...my favorite), lettuce wraps, etc. But they would have been better if I made some tzatziki and had some cucumbers. Next time.

We really enjoyed them and if you give them a chance, you might love them.





No comments:

Post a Comment