Friday, June 3, 2011

pizza casalinga sulla griglia con lo zucchini, la zucca, i carciofi, il formaggio di capra e il soprasetta cotti

A. Get to know me.
B. I made grilled pizzas last night.
C. I impressed myself, and you can too



And now I tell you the ways:

Ingredients:
1 Trader Joe's pizza dough (they are in the salad/soup section and cost $.99)
Yellow Squash sliced
Zucchini sliced
1 bag of frozen quartered artichokes (thawed or fresh if you have the availability)
1 Yellow Onion Sliced
2 chicken breasts grilled (see recipe below)
Soprosetta or Spicy Salami
Goat Cheese (go for the good one)
Quattro Formaggi (sliced/shredded)
1 Can of Crushed Tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves

I usually buy a bunch of pizza doughs and put them in the freezer and thaw them out when I need them. If you buy one fresh (or hopefully I will update this with an awesome home made dough recipe from a friend), just let it sit out a while as you grill the vegetables and chicken.

GRILL THE TOPPINGS FIRST!!!!! I cut up all the veggies in various sizes and drizzled them with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, chili oil and a balsamic glaze. I grilled them about 5 minutes a side until they had nice grill marks. Take them off and set them aside.

Next, grill the chicken (or you can grill them at the same time, we didn't have the space because we made two pizzas instead of just one). I marinate the chicken in olive oil, chili oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Poke the chicken with a fork all over while it is in the oils (etc.) - this will let the flavors in and as far as I understand the world, keep it juicy. Toss them on the grill and let them cook a good 8-10 min a side depending on thickness. Do this about 2-3 times total (20-30 min depending on thickness). Clearly check the meat! If it is pink in the middle, give it another flip or two.

PIZZA TIME. Press or roll out the pizza dough and sprinkle it with a little pinch of corn meal. Flour will burn so just be aware if you are using that instead. It doesn't have to be round, this isn't Pizza Hut people. Live a little. I don't toss dough in the air, but I do use my fists to pull it out. Once you get it a little flat, put it over the top of your fists (fists towards the sky, like a 1913 boxer) and gently and evenly move the dough out from your hands. If you have a big cutting board you can also do it on that. Next, lay it flat and rub a little olive oil on the side that is going down on the grill first. Place on the grill (be careful not to burn yourself). Let it sit with the lid closed for about 5 min max. Before you flip it over put a little more olive oil on the non-grilled side and then flip it over. Let it sit another 5 min. Remove from the grill and choose a side for the bottom and the top. Then place the toppings you want on there. I put a few spoon fulls of tomatoes from the can on there (I do not like that much sauce), and then took a few handfuls of the vegetables and arranged them. Next, I added some goat cheese. Then I pulled the chicken apart and put it on the pizza. Then I added some soprosetta and quattro formaggi and put it back on the grill for about 5-10 min.

BOOM.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds dynamite my little Italiano Greek! I say Boom too, whw=ere did that come from?

    ReplyDelete