Thursday, July 7, 2011

Homemade tomato sauce with spicy italian sausage/Bangin' Throw Down

If there are any Arrested Development fans out there, you will appreciate why I want to call this recipe "Who wants a banger in the mouth?" - but to keep it PG I will call it something else --> "Bangin' Throw Down."

My mom would clearly call this something else, but I think she might laugh a little bit (right Mom?). She usually makes this dish when it gets a little cooler outside, but my roommate and I had some veggies that were on their last leg and I decided to do something about it. I had most of the herbs and spices I would usually use, but I will supply the ones I didn't use as well - as I think they would add a little something extra.

When I made this last night, our house smelled like an Italian kitchen, it felt like I was back studying abroad back in Sicily. This is one of my favorite comfort foods.  :)

"Bangin' Throw Down"

Ingredients: 
2 yellow squash
olive oil
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 peppers (any color)
3 medium tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can crushed tomatoes
Parmesan cheese
salt
pepper
thyme
oregano
1 bay leaf
red hot pepper flakes
1 package of hot spicy italian sausage
1/2 cup of wine (red or white)

Directions:
Slice onions, garlic, and squash anyway you want (dicing will work well). Put it into a skillet or large pot  with the olive oil and sauté for about 15 minutes - stirring occasionally.  Then add diced tomatoes and peppers. Sprinkle herbs and spices over the sauce so far - except for the bay leaf - wait on that.

In another pot/skillet, while the veggies are softening, cook the sausages. You will want to add some olive oil and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Then add about 1/3 cup of water and cover for about 2-3 minutes. Using a fork or tongs, add the sausages to the veggies. Do NOT dump the skillet contents in the sauce - NO NO NO. Place the sausage into the sauce.

After we are all together in one pan, add the canned tomatoes and the bay leaf. Also add the wine at this time - it is optional but I think it adds a little something. Stir and cover, turn to low and let it cook for about another hour or so (on extra low and slow!) and stir every 20-30 minutes or more often, but let the flavors sink in.

Grate some parmesan cheese and serve in a bowl. Consume with love.




No comments:

Post a Comment