Thursday, August 18, 2011

Boiled Peanuts - Mmmmhmmm

So I am back at school (yay!) for my last year.  I feel like I am ready to get started.

My grandmother is moving out of her house that was around the corner from my parents house and gave me a new crockpot! I am pumped up because I needed a new one and it is bigger than my last one. I got back into town and felt a need to make some boiled peanuts. I bought some raw peanuts that you can either roast or boil. I like my boiled peanuts salty, a little spicy, moist and awesome (that's what she said).

Here is how I make boiled peanuts:

Ingredients:
1 package raw peanuts
2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup whole pepper corns
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

Directions:

First, soak the peanuts in the salt and spices with enough water to cover them to keep them submerged in the water. Use a plate or a sauce pan cover to keep them under the water. You can use a bowl or a cooking pot to do this. Soak them over night.

Second, the next day, pour all the water and soaked peanuts into a crock pot and add more water if needed. Cook the peanuts on high for 6-8 hours or until the peanuts are easy to crack and soft on the inside. This requires that you test and stir the crockpot every hour or so. Make sure that the peanuts stay submerged in the brine mixture during the entire process, this ensures that they soak in all the flavor and stay moist.

Once the peanuts are boiled to the texture and softness that you desire, they can be served warm or cold - it is up to you!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment